Disclaimer: Please note that as an open-source project, we do not actively work on the website, and as a result, some links may be broken or outdated. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Last updated: 2024-04-12

Get started on the conviction vacation process

Vacate your conviction in the state of Washington by following these 4 steps!

Read More

Step 1: Gather the Required Documents

First let's gather the documents you will need to determine your eligibility. Before using the calculator, gather all the documentation you have regarding your conviction.
You'll need to know:

The date & violation of your misdemeanor or felony conviction

If and when you completed the terms of your sentence

CHRI (Recommended)

A copy of your Criminal History Record Information (CHRI) would be very helpful in the vacation process and might be required in some cases.

Price: $11

Estimated Turnaround: Instant

Get an “unofficial” copy through WATCH for a $11.00 fee. This report is not always accurate so you should ask the prosecutor.

Price: $30 - $70

Estimated Turnaround: 2 weeks

If the WATCH printout is not good enough, go to your local police or sheriff's office for an official “record review/challenge” fingerprint card.

Next, write WSP a letter asking them to send an official copy of your complete CHRI. Include the fingerprint card and a money order. A copy of your CHRI will be returned to the address on the fingerprint card. Send everything to:

Washington State Patrol Identification and Background Section

PO Box 42633

Olympia WA 98504-2633

Step 2: Check Your Eligibility

Once you have your records and forms gathered, use our eligibility calculator to determine whether you are eligible to vacate your misdemeanor or felony conviction. It is expected to take 10-30 minutes.

Step 3: File with Court

Once you have determined you are eligible to vacate your conviction using the Eligibility Calculator, you must submit a request to have your conviction vacated at the court where you were sentenced.
Step 1
Read "Instructions for Vacating Misdemeanor or Felony Convictions": CrRLJ 09.0300 / CrRLJ 08.0930 from the Washington Courts website.
Step 2
Fill out form: CrRLJ 09.0100 for misdemeanors or CR 08.0900 for felonies from the Washington Courts website to vacate your conviction.
Step 3
Read more about misdemeanor or felony conviction vacation here from the Washington Law Help website.
To find where to file your petitition to vacate, you can go the Washington State Courts Website for a statewide directory of courts, with addresses and numbers.
Your request to vacate may be denied if:
  • The court does not believe that vacating your conviction will be in the interest of society.
  • There are inaccuracies in your court records and/or the application.
  • You violated probation, have not paid off your fines or are otherwise not eligible to vacate that conviction.

Step 4: Court Hearing

Last but not least, schedule a hearing with a judge, following the "Instructions for Vacating Misdemeanor and Felony Convictions": CrRLJ 09.0300 / CrRLJ 08.0930 above.

Legal Aid

Many pro bono services are only available after being referred by CLEAR, a toll-free legal hotline:

  • Outside of King County: call 1-888-201-1014 (weekdays 9.15am - 12.15pm)

  • In King County: call 2-1-1 (weekdays 8am - 6pm)

  • You can also apply online at CLEAR*Online

Important Notice to Verify Legal Resources:

Before proceeding with any legal resources mentioned on our website, we highly encourage you to contact them directly and verify that they are currently able to assist with your specific issue. While we strive to provide accurate and up-to-date information, it is important to acknowledge that the priorities and availability of legal resources can evolve.

Financial Aid

Use this packet from Washington Law Help to find out if you are eligible to waive your fees (p. 1-2). It also includes instructions to request a fee waiver (p. 4-9) as well as all necessary forms (p. 10-14).

If you have trouble filling out the documents, use this website created by Northwest Justice to help fill out the documents for free.

Eligibility-Related Forms

Vacation packet from Northwest Justice Project with details about the eligibility to vacate (p. 2-4) and the needed court forms (p. 5-13).

Vacation packet from Northwest Justice Project with the steps to vacate (p. 2-6), all necessary court documents (p. 8-13) and a sample letter for WSP to seal your record (p. 7).

If you were a victim of trafficking, you can use this vacation packet from Northwest Justice Project with info on the eligibility to vacate (p. 1-3), steps to take (p. 4-8), court forms (p. 10-18) and a sample letter for WSP (p. 9).

Vacation packet from Northwest Justice Project including an overview of the requirements to vacate (p. 4-6), how to file motion (p. 8), all necessary court documents (p. 8-9), preparations (p. 10-12), and a sample letter to WSP (p. 14). Additional resources can be found at the end of the document after p. 14.

To vacate a felony conviction, you will also need a Certificate of Discharge. If the court has not issued the Certificate of Discharge yet, you must file for a certificate before you can vacate the felony. This packet will assist you to obtain a Certificate of Discharge in Washington State.

Vacation packet from Northwest Justice Project including an overview of the eligibility to vacate (p. 1-2), steps to take (p. 3-7), all court forms (p. 8-16), and a sample letter for WSP (p. 17).

Detailed packet containing all court documents (p. 30-40), sample letters to WSP and JRA (p. 41-42), and the specific practices per county (p. 19-27).

The packet from King County Superior Court briefly describes the procedure to vacate and contains all necessary court documents (p. 11-17) and a sample of how to fill in the court documents (p. 4-9)